Tuesday, May 11, 2010

University of Central America (UCA)



Overwhelming. The one word I would choose to describe my experience at the UCA.  This was the most difficult site that we visited. It was incredibly emotional and still is to this day as I take the time to think about what I learned this day and as I go back and look at the pictures and videos I took at this place. At this University we were able to visit the Museum of the Martyrs that were assassinated during the war. Their blood stained clothing hangs behind glass for all to see.  These include the 6 Jesuit priests as well as Monseñor Romero. On November 16, 1989, while the 6 Jesuit priests  and the 2 women that were also staying at the UCA slept, a knock came at their door in the middle of the night. Unbeknownst to them, it was  their killers sent by the government. They dragged the men outside on their front lawn and put a bullet in their heads.  We actually saw the albums of photographs of what the scene looked like and it was horrific. It was the most horrible scene I have ever seen. There was blood, and brain matter every where.  The killers also found the women who were sleeping in a separate room, and killed them as well, so as to leave no witnesses. Why were these men killed? They were men with power and influence and were speaking out against the social injustice occurring in the country. they were a threat, so the government took them out.

Why were they mercilessly shot in the brain? because of their "dangerous" ideas/brains-Very symbolic. These martyrs were buried at the Chapel of Archbishop Romeo located on the university's campus.  The church was very beautiful with colorful, symbolic art painted on the walls. It was an amazing experience. Funny, how this was the site that had the most impact on me, yet I did not write much about it.  The truth is that you have to be there.  I don't have the words to describe what it was like, what I felt.  Well, I think that that part of what I felt was an overwhelming sense of sadness.  Here I am weeks later, and just thinking about brings tears to my eyes.My heart aches...  It reminds me much of Jesus Christ and how He was brutally beaten, tortured and killed so that I may live, so that my sins could be forgiven. He took my punishment, what I deserved. Similarly, many of the Salvadoran people were also beaten, tortured, and killed.  They gave up their lives, so that future generations may be free, may have rights, and to this day justice has yet to be served.

Triptych in Memory of Monseñor Romero
The general theme is the "prophetic announcement of a new social order,
a new civilization rooted in the gospel, in the doctrine of the church,
and in the Salvadoran people."

 In Memoriam
The artist of this painting is Miguel Antonio Bonilla. 
His work is described as critical. The woman who appears on the bottom left with her jewelry and at prayer, represents oligarchy.  Death represents the army. The man giving the order to kill represents the government in power. Th volcano represents the land of El Salvador.  The top of the painting are the eight UCA martyrs and above them the risen Christ.  He appears with all the signs of torture.  The animal  below is called a "cadejo", impending danger to come.

Where the UCA martyrs are buried. 
The poem engraved on the left reads:

To the Martyrs of the UCA 
by  Luis Sebastian

I saw you reach port, one by one,
your ships laden with achievements
and the prizes caught in your nets
in a few years of intense labor

I saw you arrive with bouquets of carnations
red like the blood of my people,
cut at night, still fresh

I saw you reach port, one by one,
seeking rest after so much effort.
You all came tired, but happy
as you used to come from the playing field.

You cam smiling, but serious
You were leaving with death squads behind,
the bombings and midnight mountain flight.
You are free now from torture,
but the people keep on suffering.

THE PEOPLE OF EL SALVADOR, my people
chosen and loved without their knowing.
I chose El Salvador to judge the world,
to separate the bad from the good,
to kiss the poor on the forehead
and fill the mansions of my kingdom.

Ellacu, Nacho, Amando
Lolo, Segundo, Moreno.

Come blessed of my eternal Father,
martyrs for faith and for justice;
you are the red jewels of my royal robe.















No comments:

Post a Comment